Wednesday 6 April 2011

Book Release and Interview with John Locke

John Locke's newest Donovan Creed novel is available now! Introducing VEGAS MOON. In order to save his own life, Donovan Creed signs on as bodyguard to the most famous gambler in Las Vegas history, Jim “Lucky” Peters. Lucky, worth millions, has hit a losing streak and must raise a lot of cash in a short period of time from some of the world’s creepiest people. It doesn’t take long for Creed to learn that the person who holds the key to his survival is none other than Lucky’s smokin’ hot wife, Gwen, who has secrets of her own.



Let's talk to John and ask him about his new book.

Hi, John! Tell us a bit about yourself and how long you've been writing.

I'm a husband, father, dad (there's a difference between being a father and a dad, and I like to think I'm both!) I have a day job as a real estate investor, specializing in building/buying shopping centers for my own portfolio. I own 13 shopping centers in three states and personally manage them. I also own two insurance agencies, and hold a minority ownership in a couple of movie theaters. In my spare time, I write, and I've been writing for almost two years now.

How did the idea of VEGAS MOON come to you?

Ideas for the next book always come to me while I'm writing the current book. I was halfway finished with A Girl Like You, when my brother sent me an article about a successful gambler. I thought, "Why not turn it around? What if the gambler used to be worth $50 million, but now he's on a losing streak, and owes a ton of money and has the mob against him, and needs Donovan Creed to be his bodyguard? What if he has an ultra-hot wife? What if he's trying to raise money from the world's creepiest people to dig himself out of a financial hole? How many laughs can I pack into that?" The story practically wrote itself, requiring less than three weeks from start to finish, writing part-time. As I anticipated, it's the funniest Creed ever!

Let’s get to know you on a deeper level. If you could have any super power, what would it be?

I can think of no greater power than to be invisible. Or any power that would be more fun. Provided you didn't have to be invisible all the time!

Quick writing test! Use the following words in a sentence: pistol whip, vegetarian, and oil rig.

The oil rig was an unlikely front for a vegetarian restaurant, but Maud Lynn sashayed through the place like a Tennessee Walking Horse with ginger up its butt and proceeded to pistol-whip the patrons till they screamed for hog jowls and red-eye gravy!

Wow, that was awesome - and funny! Here’s the part where you thank the people who are supporting you. Let's hear your shout outs.

There are too many to mention, so I'll start with you, and the rest of my OOU's. OOU stands for "One of Us!" --These are the people who have honored me by purchasing all my books, and who write to let me know if I'm doing a good job. They're my target audience, and I repay their loyalty by personally responding to every email and keeping my prices as low as possible, and remaining true to the characters and stories they want to read. These folks are fiercely loyal to me, and I love them with all my heart. I would love to meet more of you, and the way to do that is to click on the "Contact Me" button on my website, and leave your name and email address. I'll answer you personally, and then you'll have my personal email address, and we can get to know each other. If you like my books, I will practically insist that you stay in touch with me. The OOU's and I are in this writing thing together, as partners and friends, and like my character Donovan Creed, I have abandonment issues, so don't make me love you and then leave me. Stay with me, let me know if I'm screwing up or doing good, and I'll repay you with lots of fun stories, as well as my undying loyalty.

Finally, where can we find you online?

www.SavingRachel.com This website is hopelessly out of date, but if you click on the "Contact Me" button, it won't matter, because within a couple of days, we'll be friends! Also, I recently started a blog, where I will be sharing info I feel will be interesting to readers and other authors. I would LOVE to have your readers sign up to receive my blog posts in their email. I write these posts less often than once a week, and sometimes less than once a month, because I only write when I feel I have something special for you. I won't inundate you with content, and that's a promise! Here's the link: www.donovancreed.wordpress.com Check out the three blogs I've posted and decide if you'd like to be a part of it. I really would love to have you stop by!

John, thank you so much for taking to time to talk with us. Your book sounds like fun and I wish you the best of luck!

Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to be interviewed!





4 comments:

Unknown said...

Always fun hearing how authors first conceived an idea. I'm always amazed by how little kernels of ideas can evolve into full-fledged novels. Beautiful.

Plus, I gotta love any book cover that features a chicken on a leash!

moondustwriter said...

I am hopelessly in love with Donovan Creed!!!

Nice interview aka review Dorothy

Ya gotta love anything with Moon in the title - just saying

Moonie smiles

Dorothy Dreyer said...

Thanks for the comments, gals. John is a lot of fun. :)

Gina said...

Sounds like a man of many hats. Wishing him the best on this newest effort. Thanks for the interview share Dorothy!