Wednesday 12 September 2012

Interview with Robert Ford

Today we're talking with author Robert Ford about his newest book, THE KING OF SPAIN.

Welcome to We Do Write, Robert. Tell us a bit about yourself.


Hello. I live and work in London. My debut novel the King of Spain is out now through the mighty Apostrophe Books: http://apostrophebooks.com/books/literaryfictio/kingofspain/

How long have you been writing?


Fiction - a couple of years. Dabbled in some screen plays before that.

Tell us about THE KING OF SPAIN. What’s the story about? 

The story is set in a retirement facility in the near future, and follows the lives of the people who work there. Really it’s about a number of things, about hope and love and guilt, about society and ageing and compassion and technology. And the environment. And Bears.

How did the idea of the story come to you? 

I wanted to write something that was contrary to all the of the output (both in fiction and in films) that was 'apocalyptic'. Where the future was sad and banal and not defined but some kind of thunderous annihilation. So the idea came as a reaction and then the more i developed it the more i began to incorporate other, more personal strands, some of the things that Sam (the protagonist) struggles with.

Are you a planner or a panster?

Planner.

What’s the hardest part of writing for you?

Finding the time.

What do you absolutely have to have nearby when writing?

Coffee. A high calibre rifle. Sunglasses.

Whoa! Okay, maybe I don't want to know. If you could have any super power, what would it be?

I have big hands and can undo most troublesome jars. This, I think, qualifies as a superpower. I just need a cool name. And a cape.

What's the weirdest thing you've googled?

Giant cocks. Honestly I was looking for an image for a film logo. The search came back with some pretty scary..... roosters.

LOL, okay maybe I don't want to know about that either! Quick writing test! Use the following words in a sentence: obligatory, air freshener, and moderator.

'Obligatory....air freshener...moderator.....' screamed the man as he sped past, covered head to toe in bright orange flames.

That is what we call a cop out, my friend. ;) Finish this sentence: If I'm not writing, I'm probably ... 

Opening jars.

LOL. Here’s the part where you thank the people who are supporting you. Let's hear your shout outs. 

Apostrophe Books - without whom the King of Spain would be a shadow of its current self. My very understanding wife and all of my friends and family who believe so readily in me.

And finally, where can people find you and your book online?

No comments: