Friday 26 October 2012

Interview with R Kyle Hannah

Happy Weekend,everyone! Today we're chatting with the author of TIME ASSASSINS.

Welcome to We Do Write! Tell us a bit about yourself.

My name is Kyle Hannah, I am married, with two kids and I have been in the Army for almost 27 years.

How long have you been writing?

I started writing short stories in high school. I was bored in most of myclasses and this seemed a much better way to occupy my time than getting in trouble and being sent to the office.

Tell us about TIME ASSASSINS. What's the story about?

A future Assassin's Guild has developed time travel and they send their agents back to "tweak" history. In TIME ASSASSINS, you'll visit the Magna Carta, Hitler's Conference Room, JFK's trip to Dallas, and even Lincoln's visit to FOrd's Theater. Rick Brewer is a banished Apprentice who is stranded in time and using his knowledge to upset the timeline. Plus, you'll see a current day mission that changes the world. And at the center of it all, a young Apprentice just starting his career.

How did the idea of the story come to you?

I came up with the idea after talking with some high schools and 20 somethings--I discovered there is a distinct lack of knowledge when it comes to history. I wanted to come up with a fun way to accidentally learn something...enter TIME ASSASSINS.

Do you have a critique group/partner or beta readers, or do you self-edit?

Actually, I did both. After I wrote it, I did two edits on it myself. I had a few friends read it, then hired an editor. That editor turned it over to Dark Dragon Publishing who picked it up. After that, another three rounds of editing...

Are you a planner or a pantser?

Well, I start off planning it...but once the writing starts, it usually takes on a life of its own. The general premise will remain the same, but the details always change.

What's the hardest part of writing for you?

Finding the time and the motivation. I have ideas-I have six or seven completed storylines-but I have to be in the mood to write. I cannot just force myself...when I do, I end up just deleting it.

What do you absolutely have to have nearby when writing?

Music. I cannot stand a quiet room; it puts me to sleep. So, a little Journey or other 80s music and I'm just foot tapping while I'm typing. Maybe it's a rhythm thing...

If you could have any super power, what would it be?

Telepathy. Being able to move objects with my mind...that's like using the force. That's just cool.

What's the weirdest thing you've googled?

hmmm. Probably some of the history research I've done for not only TIME ASSASSINS, but also ATLANTIS FALLING, one of my other projects. Dragons, ancient Japan, Bermuda Triangle, and Papal history....all in the same day.

Quick writing test! Use the following words in a sentence: obligatory, oblivion, and obstacles.

It was obligatory, to avoid oblivion, to overcome the obstacles, so said the drill instructor.

Finish this sentence: If I'm not writing, I'm probably ...

Playing a computer game.

Here's the part where you thank the people who are supporting you. Let's hear your shout outs.

Oh, so many. First, my wife and kids for putting up with me. Second, Gene Rowley for not only being a beta reader but also doing the cover for TIME ASSASSINS. Third, my editor, Karen. She really put me through the ringer, but it was worth it! And finally, the fans. After my first novel, TO AID AND PROTECT, I was pretty much ordered to write another book. Maybe that's the motivation I'm waiting on to get really working on the next one. Thank you to everyone who has read my books...I really hope you enjoy them!

And finally, where can people find you and your book online?

TO AID AND PROTECT is available at all the usual places: Amazon, Barnes and Noble, iTunes.

TIME ASSASSINS will also be available at those locations and at darkdragonpublishing.com

Thank you for the opportunity to get my name out there. TIME ASSASSINS will be released in late October and I hope that the readers like it as much as I do. I love to get feedback, so please let me know what you think...and you can follow my further exploits at:

www.rkylehannah.com
www.facebook.com/rkylehannahwriter
www.rkylehannah.blogspot.com
Twitter @rkhannah

No comments: