Monday 12 November 2012

Interview with Prudence MacLeod

Happy Monday, everyone! Does it feel like Fall where you are? Have you already got your Thanksgivings plans sorted out? So much to do and so little time, right? Well hopefully you have time to sneak a peek at an interview with the fabulous Prudence MacLeod.

Welcome, Prudence!

Hi Dorothy, thanks so much for giving me this opportunity. Okay, I’m strapped in with coffee in hand. Ask me anything at all. 

Tell us a bit about yourself.

Well, I’m in my sixties, so I’ve been around for a while. The thing is, the older I get the more fun this adventure called life becomes. I love telling stories, knitting, hanging out with friends, walking with dogs, did I mention hanging out with friends? I also enjoy meeting new people. Oh and then there’s the shopping…

How long have you been writing?

I’ve been writing off and on much of my life, but only in the last twenty years have I taken it seriously.

Tell us about HUNTER. What’s the story about?

Hunter is my latest effort. It began as an exercise of letting my mind wander then took on a life of its own. It is the story of a young woman with a special gift, one that brings her as much grief as it does benefit. She has spent her life running and hiding from the authorities and something else; always wondering why the women in her family are different. And then she finds out, and goes on the hunt herself. The story is as much about Tracy’s hunt for herself and her place in the world as it is about the hunt for the aliens.

How did the idea of the story come to you?

Actually it was through a conversation with my Labrador Retriever. Dogs perceive the world very differently and I suddenly wondered what that might be like. Later that day I was watching Firestarter with friends and that was it. I couldn’t sleep that night until I put some thoughts on paper.

Do you have a critique group/partner or beta readers, or do you self-edit?

I have a couple of Beta readers. First I do a self-edit, then have the story read, and then it goes to my editor at Powder River Editing. This is actually new for me and Hunter is only the second book she has done for me. It does make a difference.

Are you a planner or a pantser?

Oh, pantster all the way. Shoot, if I knew how the story would unfold I wouldn’t bother to write it. I write them to see what is going to happen.

What’s the hardest part of writing for you?

Promotion usually; I’m not so great at blowing my own horn or running contests and such.

What do you absolutely have to have nearby when writing?

Coffee, dogs, or people. I talk to the dogs while I write. It helps me to sort out the story. I’m a writer, most of us survive on coffee, and oddly, I enjoy having people all around me.

If you could have any super power, what would it be?

Oh, teleportation. If you want to have coffee with a friend in Texas, poof you’re there. Want to do lunch with the girls in England? Poof, you’re there. How incredible would that be?

What's the weirdest thing you've googled?

Oh dear, now that’s a tough question; probably the name of the main characters in my books. After I finish a book I google the names just to make sure I’m not going to rub anybody’s fur the wrong way. You know, if I write Joe Bob as a womanizer and google turns up Joe Bob as a solid citizen running for office, well, my Joe becomes Jimmy Sam. No harm intended and none done if I can help it.

Quick writing test! Use the following words in a sentence: ambition, ammunition, and appetite.

“Jeanie, here’s the extra ammunition you’ll need if you have the appetite for the killing, or the ambition to see another sunrise.”

Finish this sentence: If I'm not writing, I'm probably ...

thinking about writing.

Here’s the part where you thank the people who are supporting you.Let's hear your shout outs.

First there’s my partner who is also my biggest fan as well as a gifted artist. Find her here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/PurpleRavenBoutique?ref=seller_info
My editor and dear friend, C.M.Crawford , find her here: http://powderriverediting.blogspot.ca/
Also the WANA group. You can find these folks on Facebook or Twitter as well as hundreds of other places. These are the most supportive and inspirational people you could ever hope to encounter. Find them at WANA 1011, WANA 112, on Facebook or at #MYWANA on Twitter. These are incredible people, check them out; you’ll be glad you did.

And finally, where can people find you and your books online?

All my books can be found at these locations or at fine on-line book seller anywhere.
http://www.prudencemacleod.com/
http://www.amazon.com/Prudence-MacLeod/e/B0079XOY8U
https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/Witchhazel

Thanks so much for chatting with us today, Prudence. I wish you the best with your book!

This has been a lot of fun, Dorothy. Thanks again for inviting me.


4 comments:

Prudence MacLeod said...

Hi Dorothy, thanks so much for the interview. It was fun to do. I must say, it does look wonderful.

Coleen Patrick said...

I would like teleportation powers too. Anything to avoid planes . . . :)
Great interview!

Prudence MacLeod said...

Thanks Coleen, hey, I know this great little tea room in Edinburgh. We could zap over for tea one day. :)

Dorothy Dreyer said...

I love Edinburgh! I'll join you. ;)